Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Bunbury - Las Consecuencias

On Las Consecuencias, Enrique Bunbury’s latest solo disc, the former Héroes del Silencio vocalist again explores the words of isolation, heartbreak, and the myth of the transient troubadour, funneling his talents into character sketches ruminating on the pathos and delicacy of life as an outcast. Part of what makes Bunbury so unique and…

Las Consequencias, Bunbury
Capitol Records, Spain
Rating: 28
by Andrew Casillas

Rather than launch into a blistering version of “Radio Radio” (which would admittedly be pretty awesome), I’m just going to get straight to the point: this is one of the worst things I’ve heard so far this year. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not an abject Bunbury-phobe. Héroes del Silencio was probably the best Spanish rock band of its time, and they rode the line between hard rock and pop as well as any of their contemporaries. And Bunbury is no slouch himself. His debut solo album, Radical Sonora, was a delightful mix of alternative rock and psychedelia; a path that he’s sadly ignored in the past decade. But this…this is just plodding, derivative, simple music. It’s completely safe and colorless, which is fine if you only buy two albums a year and listen to the same three radio stations your entire life.

Don’t get me wrong. Some stuff on here isn’t awful; and as always, many of the song titles are a joy in themselves. “Ella Me Dijo Que No” begins innocently enough, before erupting into a shuffle of harmonies, buoyant drums, and George Harrison-like guitar licks. And closer “Nunca Se Convence del Todo a Nadie de Nada” rides a sultry piano backing and marries it with the right mix of violin and guitars. Bunbury’s voice is also in top shape, but over the course of an hour, his monotone only adds to the neutral shade of the entire album. But that’s about it…unless you find a lack of time-signature variation sexy.

So that’s really all I have to say about this album. Unless you’re a Bunbury completist, I would recommend staying away from this at all costs. There’s a lot of music out there in the world, folks. Don’t waste your time with something that’s not going to challenge you. If you need more advice, go listen to “Radio Radio” again, and let the prophet Elvis Costello set you straight.

31 comments:

1. OUTRAGED FAN RESPONSEMarch 2, 2010 at 6:55 PM

I am outraged, Bunbury = god

2. OUTRAGED FAN RESPONSE #2March 2, 2010 at 7:07 PM

I am outraged too, Bunbury = dog.

ReplyDelete
  3. entiendo tu critica pero Bunbury mismo dijo qe este dijo qe seria un CD diferente el cual los mismos fan talvez rechazarian, pero es asi tal vez no te guste pero no es motivo para dejar de escucharlo

ReplyDelete
  4. Noooooo, lo despedazaron al Bunbury otra vez!!

5. STAFF CLARIFICATION OF INTENTMarch 2, 2010 at 7:19 PM

I'm only being honest. I never said he was devoid of talent generally.

ReplyDelete
  6. Andrew, your honesty, outrages me.

ReplyDelete
  7. To me, Héroes del Silencio were the Maná, I said it. I actually think Bunbury got better with the solo career, I liked the Deluxe (last album) but the guy is a bore.

ReplyDelete
  8. I meant they were the Maná of its time (and yes, I lived through all that) and suffered a lot, but hey, we didn't know better

9. Outraged protestantMarch 2, 2010 at 7:42 PM

Bunbury = overated. !

aprovechando esta opurtunidad de expresar mi coraje:

I am mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore! Universal Healthcare for all !Bring Conan back! Viva Conando! Free Tibet! Toy selectah for Prez! Pluto is still a planet! My dad can beat up yours!!!!!!! Club Fonograma resurected my iPod! Aleluya!!

10. Outraged Number One Fan ResponseMarch 2, 2010 at 8:47 PM

Dejen en paz a Bunbury, es lo mejor que la musica ha tenido desde que se invento la musica.

11. EL ABUELITO OUTRAGEDMarch 2, 2010 at 9:38 PM

musica de hoy para todo nuestro continente

12. LOUD NOISES!

ReplyDelete
  13. "Outraged protestant" = El Ganador!

14. Outraged Bon Jovi FanMarch 2, 2010 at 10:07 PM

Disculpen, pense que era diosito Bon Jovi en la portada, pero leo que es de Bunbury, my bad.

15. OUTRAGED CAT IN THE HATMarch 2, 2010 at 10:38 PM

I don't know. A little voice inside of me is saying, "This is a bad idea." But I can barely hear that little voice, because an even louder little voice is screaming, "Let the twelve-year-old drive!"

16. OUTRAGED SAN CANACAMarch 2, 2010 at 10:45 PM

y mis 50mil pesos que? trallia 100 billetes de a 500, ontan?

- el hijo del papa

ReplyDelete
  17. Bunbury es un mal chiste, tiene su personaje muy estudiado, lo explota, le va bien y punto. Comparar a Heroes con Mana, en cambio me parece un poco pasado de rosca. Comparalos si quieres con Soda Stereo.

ReplyDelete
  18. OUTRAGED GRINGO WHO DOESN'T KNOW THE SPANISH WORD FOR "OUTRAGED"March 2, 2010 at 10:54 PM

Elvis Costello por vida!!! Bunbury no bueno!!!

ReplyDelete
  19. que ya te dije que yo no quiero ser actor!

ReplyDelete
  20. Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!

ReplyDelete
  21. I DRIVE A DODGE STRATUS!!!

ReplyDelete
  22. Pepe el Toro es inocente !

23. Outraged HumanitarianMarch 4, 2010 at 6:24 PM

Stop eating baby carrots!!!!........ they're only BABIES !!!

24. jajajajaja I wish Bubury's album was as fun as the comments :D

ReplyDelete
  25. why do people idolize their favorite singers..??

Bunbury should take a rest for at least 2 years so he can come up with something fresher..

all record company policies..

ReplyDelete
  26. "which is fine if you only buy two albums a year and listen to the same three radio stations your entire life." hahah te mamaste!

ReplyDelete
  27. no creo que el señor haya hecho algo bueno desde flamingos. particularmente nunca he sido mayor fan de heroes, compararlos con Maná ya esta en otras ligas, heroes tiene buenas canciones, y si bunbury no se detiene podria quedar como cualquier estrella del ayer, cantando solo exitos.

ReplyDelete
  28. When did Club Fonograma turn into Pitchfork?

Comparing Heroes to Mana is just stupid.